Bio and Booking Information

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

go ahead and stare ....


I absolutely love people watching. Sometimes I am sure it’s weird for them however I enjoy it.  It’s a sport that has been around for ages. I believe it started in malls with little old men sitting on the benches as their wives shopped.  Then I looked into the bible and saw that it happened way back. From the Pharisees watching for anyone including Jesus to mess up at any point.  The disciples always watching others and then glancing to Jesus for His responses.  This morning when I got to the YMCA I got two cups of coffee off the little coffee cart and headed into the Revolution church office with one cup of coffee in one hand and the other cup I had to put in my mouth because my other hand was full and I needed to somehow get the key in the door. Not one but at least three people passed by. One said hello, another just looked, and the other well he was determined to not make eye contact. I made it and thought to myself HELLO people I needed help.  I don't think those three people were jerks, self-righteous or even non-believers it’s just at times our thought process is often fueled around thinking people have it under control, or we just can't I mean it’s not intentional right?   We are so wrapped up with what others think at times we hold the hands and feet of Jesus hostage.  We aren't intentional about not giving to the homeless we just don't have any cash on us. We aren't intentional about not sending someone an encouraging text we just don't have their number. We aren't intentional about not praying with someone we just don't want them to feel awkward.  We aren't intentional about asking someone to help with our brokenness we just don't want to inconvenience them. We aren't intentional with our lack of passion for serving its just our time is so precious to us. We aren't  intentional about missing church it’s just the flu season and we don't want to get sick, or maybe our favorite team is playing.  You see we are not intentional at times but the enemy is always intentional with our time, money, and thoughts because he looks to steal the moments that will further the kingdom of God.  Those people that passed by me didn't spark resentment (if I would have dropped the hot coffee on myself however I would have been ticked haha) but it did spark within me this call to be intentional.  Will I choose today to build up the kingdom? My money is not my own and therefore at times I have to intentionally trust God and allow people to bless me. My time is not my own therefore I have to chase daylight to honor Him with my hands and feet. In Luke 11 Jesus was asked by a Pharisee to dine with him and instead of seeing the willingness, and thoughtfulness of Jesus saying yes He judged him for not washing his hands before eating. He only saw what He didn’t do.  The response from Jesus wasn't "oh sorry let me run wash my hands" no it was a moment to tell him what for.  I love when Jesus spoke up and out to those who looked for lines of religion to cross and even created those lines at times with the hope He would.  There are those people in your life even now that are waiting “unintentionally” for you to fall. They are waiting for you to mess up. Let that not STOP you but fuel you. Let your brokenness be the tool that brings you back to the feet of Jesus. Let your time, money and circumstances be the instrument of change. Others are watching you and some with eyes of envy, and yet others are truly needing to see a glimpse of Jesus.  Remember that wee little man Zaachaeus who climbed up a tree just to see Jesus? 

Luke 19 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

 The eyes of Zaachaeus were locked in on seeing Jesus. Those around him were locked in on Jesus eating with a sinner. Jesus was locked in on meeting a need and making him new.  Your family, friends, co-workers church members may be climbing out of addictions, defeating thoughts, financial ruin among other forms of complete brokenness and they are looking to you to see Jesus. Let them stare, glare and watch you because our weakness, vulnerabilities only set us up for God to blow our minds. Be encouraged today and SHINE even when you feel as if there is no shine left. God is about to do something that will cause not only you but those who surround you to look UP! Hebrews 1:5  “Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."   

No comments:

Post a Comment